It can sneak up on you. Heat, exercise, salty foods or simply forgetting to drink enough fluids can lead to dehydration, low energy and fuzzy thinking.
About 60% of the human body is made up of water, and we need to drink plenty of water and other healthy drinks to survive.
Having a proper balance between water and electrolytessuch as salt and other minerals is critical for overall health, and ensures that nerves, muscles, blood and other key systems can function properly.
Staying hydratedhelps maintain the correct body temperature, blood pressure, heart rate and metabolism, and it helps our bodies filter waste to produce urine.
When we get too dehydrated, our bodies begin to shut down and people often become anxious and feel faint. Delusions can set in, and eventually people will lose the ability to walk, talk and think coherently. People can’t live without water and other hydrating fluids for more than about six or seven days.
Our bodies have a very delicate balance with hydration. A decrease in body water of just 2% can cause dehydration for athletes and diminish their performance, according to Larry Kenney, a professor of physiology and kinesiology at Pennsylvania State University.
Here are 8 great ways to make sure you stay hydrated, especially with the warm summer season drawing near.
- Watermelon, apples, grapes and many other fruits are mostly made of water
- Low-calorie fruit juices help your body stay hydrated
- Many soups and bone broths are a great source of water
- Jell-O is primarily water and pudding contains lots of milk, which also has a high water content
- Herbal tea is a great source of hydration; add ice for a refreshing treat
- The ice in fruit smoothies makes a wonderful source of water
- Tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers and other salad items are a great way to boost water intake
- Pour a glass of water with each meal, and be sure to drink the whole thing
Our favorite way to stay hydrated while also getting an energy boost is to reach for a chilled NADI rosehip drink. The Vitamin C and B Complex Vitamins create a natural burst of energy that lasts all day, and unlike coffee or energy drinks, there isn’t a crash later.